What We Believe
Imagination is more important than knowledge. -Albert Einstein, 1929
The only kind of learning which significantly influences behavior is self-discovered or self-appropriated learning - truth that has been assimilated in experience. -Carl Rogers
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. -Stephen Hawking
Doubt is an uncomfortable condition, but certainty is absurd. -Voltaire
Students should be made to think, to doubt, to communicate, to question, to learn from their mistakes, and most importantly have fun in their learning. -Professor Richard Feynman
The best teachers are not the ones who provide you all the answers. They're the ones who get deeply excited by the questions they cannot answer, the ones who teach how to question and doubt the things you learn. -Professor Richard Feynman
We do not learn from experience...we learn from reflecting on experience. -John Dewey
- We believe that imagination and self-discovery drive inspiration and genuine learning.
- We believe everyone deserves and is entitled to study Computer Science.
- We believe that the skills acquired in the study of Computer Science are valuable, regardless of a student's ultimate field of study.
- We believe that studying Computer Science can help bring equity to the disadvantaged.
- We believe that the best learning is fun.
- We're committed to act on these beliefs.
Coder Merlin is dedicated to inspiring all students, regardless of skill level, to study and learn about Computer Science through engaging and authentic lab practice. Coder Merlin provides a variety of learning opportunities for coding in several languages, with an emphasis on Swift. Coder Merlin is cloud-based and requires no special hardware. It is easily accessed through any secure-shell client and browser.
Who We Are
Coder Merlin is a community effort. Details about how you can help may be found here.
The use of this wiki is available free of charge all. For the best coding experience, we strongly recommend a shell account. For more information, see Merlin Coder Services.